A Valentine Short from Annamaria Bazzi


Valentine's Day Gift

Beautiful huge snowflakes winnowed from side to side, gliding to the ground to join their sisters already piled on the grass. The gray sky looked almost white as the snowflakes grew denser. The evergreens at the horizon cloaked in purity stood tall, touching the clouds. Winter was so beautiful, yet I couldn’t rejoice.

My mind drifted.

The bright colors of autumn splashed the landscape with orange, yellow, red, even brown looked pretty sprinkled here and there. David and I had been together for three years when he took me into the woods where we loved to walk with nature. We strolled hand in hand when he stopped and, facing me, dropped to one knee.

“Alessa, you’re my sunshine, my good luck, my inner peace, will you be my wife?”
My heart burst with joy. Tears flowed freely. I smiled down at him unable to speak—a huge frog stuck in my throat.

I grabbed the pillow on the sofa and hugged it tight, feeling the tears running down my face.

David ran to shore, testing the water with his foot. “Alessa, come on the water is so warm.” He waved his arms in the air. “Yes, warm.”

After making sure all was settled in our little camp on the hot sand, umbrella up, chairs open, towels laid out, I ran to meet him with a pout.

“What’s the matter with you? Let’s go in the water.”

I jutted my lower lip further out. “The water is so calm, it’s not going to be fun.”

“Today is all about what you make of it.” With the biggest grin on his face he lifted me in his arms and ran in the ocean. He dropped me.

Although I wanted to laugh, I couldn’t let him get away with it. I stood huffing and puffing and splashed water all over him in a frenzy of pretend anger.

His big brown eyes stared at me in shock. I loved to be unpredictable. After enjoying his expression, I jumped around his neck and planted a wet one on his salty lips.

A tear dripped off my jaw and landed on my forearm. The snowflakes outside still fell thick.

“Dear God, let the chemo destroy the cancer. Please don’t take him away from me and our little Kevin.” As gross as it sounds, I wiped my nose with the edge of my t-shift and went back to my prayer.

Time always crawled when life played with people’s emotions. I was a basket case as Valentine’s Day neared, knowing my days with my precious David were going by too fast.

The phone rang dragging me out of my painful thoughts.

“Hello.”

“This is Dr. Stevenson, may I please speak with David or Alessa?”

“This is she. How are you Doc?”

“Doing real well and hope to bring a smile to your life. I know this is Saturday but I had to call. David’s tests have come in and it looks like he is in remission. If he can stay clear for the next five years, he might outlive you.”

I couldn’t contain myself. After hanging up the phone the tears of joy flowed and I had to go into the bedroom to stared at David who was still sleeping, tangled with the bed sheets.

I went back downstairs and called his favorite restaurant and made reservations for Valentine’s Day. This was going to be the grandest of celebrations. I called my Mom and after giving her the great news, I asked if she would watch Kevin the evening of Valentine’s. I made so many calls to let family and friends know that for the time being David was out of danger.

I went to work in the kitchen, making his favorite waffle recipe.

“Good morning.” I heard surprise in his voice.

I turned and greeted him with a smile. “Sit down, baby.”

“What are you doing?” He came over and wrapped his arms around my waist.

I turned and pecked his lips. “Please sit down. Breakfast will be served in just a few more seconds.”

He sat down.

I joined him with two waffles, placing one on his dish. Looking into his eyes, mine filled with tear.

He jumped to his feet and took me into his embrace. “What’s the matter?”

I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him down close to me. “You’re in remission.” I managed to choke out.

He squeezed me to his heart. “Didn’t I say you couldn’t get rid of me so easily?”

“Look outside, it’s snowing.”

David loved snow and all things wintery.

“When Kevin wakes up we can go sledding.” His eyes sparkled with life, something I hadn’t seen in months.
I glanced outside and smiled. As the snowflakes drifted to the earth the sun bathed them with gold.



Annamaria Bazzi spent twenty years programming systems for large corporations, creating innovative solution, and addressing customer problems. During those years she raised four daughters and one husband. Annamaria lives in Richmond Virginia with her small family where she now dedicates a good part of her day writing.
 Blog: www.annamariabazzi.com


Cancer Awareness - re: why the lavender ribbon.

Comments

  1. Alison, thank you so much for hosting this wonderful series of short stories for Valentines Day. I had great fun writing the short and hope you'll continue to host similar series. I definitely enjoy writing them and participating. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next up is Summer Short, so start thinking warm thoughts.

      Delete

Post a Comment