The Next Big Thing

I was thrice tagged for this game...
Go check out the blogs of Paty Jager, Lyn Horner and Ginger Simpson if you don't believe me. For that matter, check them out anyway. It's the fun way to get through Monday.

I'm tagging  Melodie Campbell, Gloria Ferris, Kat Flannery, Charlene Radon and Diane Rapp. And they'll find 5 authors and so on and so on... Just like the shampoo commercial.


The Next Big Thing... we can only hope.

What is the working title of your book?
I have three works in progress. One of them has a firm deadline, so that's the one I'll pick to focus on. It's working title is That Civil War Christmas Story I Need to Start Writing Sometime Soon.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
Kat Flannery, author of Chasing Clovers, came up with the idea and invited me to work with her. We have two sisters, separated by the Civil War, and we're taking a sister each.
What genre does your book fall under? Historical Romance.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? Since we decided to have twin sisters, we decided to cast our sisters first so we'd have common physical references.  Hilary and Haylie Duff got the roles. I haven't cast my male lead yet, but I have a soft spot for Hugh Jackman.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? Twin Christmas tales for twin sisters who leave home to work as servants to help support their mother and invalid brother, then end up on opposite sides of the American Civil War, and despite themselves, find love. (I get to breath now!)

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? Imajin Books has already shown interest in our project and given us that deadline I have to meet.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? I have three months to our deadline. In that time I need to stop researching, write the first draft and do the first rewrite.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? It's early days for comparisons. Because it's a Christmas story, it will have that heartwarming, poignant feel that you expect in a holiday tale. Then, because I'm writing it, expect a touch of quirky humor.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
Kat and I brainstormed ideas for the common themes of our stories. We've been swapping research notes and hashing out familial details for the sisters. It's been very inspiring.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Men in uniform, a war torn country, gallantry and danger... what's not to like?